Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Hiding Veggies


        When River was starting to eat people food, I did a lot of online reading about how to make homemade baby food. The idea appealed to my budget and so I tried it. I read articles about how to steam and cook the food. Then I put it into our blender or you could use a food processor. Mostly everything can be frozen so I would put it in ice cube tray followed by permanent storage in a freezer bag. Unfortunately River's interest in finger foods made him reject the baby food puree. We tried giving him cut up steamed veggies but he apparently did not like the taste. Dinner time became a fight to get him to eat foods other than grains and fruit. The internet told me how to prepare the puree but I couldn't find much advice on where to hide them for toddlers.  Here are some suggestion that have worked for us.

Hide veggies purees or chunks in:
  • Applesauce
  • Banana Mash
  • Oatmeal
  • Potatoes/ Hasbrowns
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Yogurt
  • Marinara Sauce with/out Pasta
  • Soup
  • Avacados
  • Eggs 
  • Re fried Beans or Bean Salad
  • Rice
I'm sure there are many more ways to hide food but these are what works for us now. Also here is my mom confession = almost every meal I pretend to dip his spoon in my bowl before feeding him so he thinks he is getting what I'm eating. Seems to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment