Monday, September 9, 2013

River's Birth Part 1


River Birth Story
Due Date: March 25th
Birthday: April 2


            And the story goes…about a month before I was due, the midwives were telling me that I was measuring a week early. I continued to hear this for the next few appointments. Spring Break was just around the corner and I started not to feel good. I just assumed it was signs that I was about to deliver, therefore I took off two days of school. HR was very confused why I was taking time off and I told them I was measuring early and expecting to go into labor in the upcoming days. (Big Mistake = the baby came three weeks later) HR probably thought I was just trying to get out of work; not true.
            A week of spring break passed and then the week of my due date passed. I went back to the midwives a week after my due date. At that point I had the choice on whether to induce or not. Some of the deciding factors included my mother going out of town, feeling physically past my capacity, predictions of a large baby and honestly just plain personal anxiety. This whole process was very emotional because I wanted everything to happen naturally and without interventions.
So after Dave calmed me down, we decided to be induced the night of April Fool’s Day. We went to Spaghetti Works for my “Last Supper”. The day felt surreal as I kept in mind that we would no longer be just two. We went home to pack (for the fifth time). I tried to take a nap but to no avail. Before we went to the hospital, we stopped at Target and walked through every toy aisle. Each of us grabbed something from Starbucks and then we drove to the hospital. I can remember time moving so slowly as we parked in the parking garage and walked slowly through the skywalk into the hospital.  I kept thinking is this really happening; is it really the moment I’ve been waiting for?
            Every fiber in my being was excited even just to give the front desk our name. A real bubbly nurse checked us in and thank the Lord, we got a corner room (aka bigger room). They took some blood and hooked me up to all their oh so comfortable gadgets. I had to sleep overnight on Cervidil. It was hard to sleep with the anticipation of everything, plus I couldn’t move with all the wires. Dave didn’t get much sleep either.
            Morning came and we had hoped for some dilation because I wasn’t dilated at all. Unfortunately nothing had happened and they were going to start Pitocin. My all natural, no intervention birth plan was basically down the tubes. They start Pitocin at 2ml and then bump it up by twos gradually. I asked the nurse what the highest level of Pitocin they usually give was and she told me twenty. Well I didn’t feel anything until 12 which some might consider a good thing. But then it all hit at once. My mom was going to stop by on her lunch break but when she got there, I was starting to die of pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment